A commitment to our guests as well as our planet.
As with many businesses in today’s marketplace, we strive to reduce our carbon footprint on the world. Through forward-thinking and unique tactics, we have instilled the vision and commitment of our properties to be as earth friendly as possible. In fact, our properties have been mentioned and awarded for these efforts in the area of green initiatives. From the recycling of unused materials to environmentally friendly cleaning products, our properties and our people believe in doing the right thing. Below are some of our notable initiatives and programs we are involved with.
Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain Resort and Spa
A natural setting as beautiful as Camelback Mountain is a constant reminder of the importance of protecting the environment. At Sanctuary, we show our concern for the earth in a variety of ways.
- Resort-wide thermostat control.
- Photocell or timers on all outdoor lights.
- Restaurant and bar lit by daylight as extensively as possible.
- Bamboo trees in spa to reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Low-flow toilets resort-wide, including guest rooms.
- Low water-use drip irrigation on 95% of the property.
- Desert landscaping and drought-tolerant plants.
- Crushed-rock mulch to reduce water evaporation from the soil.
- Electric golf carts resort-wide.
- Cloth napkins, glass cups, and ceramic dishes throughout the resort.
- Linen re-use program at guests’ discretion.
- Paper and plastic recycling throughout the resort, including guest rooms.
- Rechargeable, battery-powered blowers to reduce noise pollution.
- Recycling cardboard, batteries, and tires used by maintenance team.
- Staff incentive program to encourage environmental friendliness.
- Organic, paraben-free red flower amenities in guest rooms.
- Use of ceramic mugs and glassware in guest rooms.
- Organic-based janitorial service in the spa.
- Buying from local vendors wherever possible to reduce “food miles.”
- Organic food and beverage purchasing.
- Printed materials on 30–100% recycled paper certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Hotel Valley Ho
Hotel Valley Ho strives to be environmentally friendly. The restoration of the hotel itself contributed to the well being of the environment. By restoring and not tearing down the Valley Ho in 2005, Westroc Hospitality saved 20,000 tons of landfill waste. Since its opening, the hotel has participated in various green efforts, including:
Protecting the environment
- The housekeeping department uses green-certified cleaning agents.
- Red Flower amenities in every guest room and VH Spa are paraben-free, organic, biodegradable, and in containers made from recycled materials.
- All in-room linen is cleaned with hydrogen peroxide instead of harmful bleach.
- The hotel participates in the ‘Adopt-A-Road’ program, cleaning and taking care of Scottsdale Road between Indian School Road and Camelback Road.
- No herbicides are used for landscaping, and pesticides are not used on plants.
- All interior and exterior paint contains no VOCs.
- Kitchen cooking oil is recycled; some kitchen waste is composted in the chef’s herb garden.
- The hotel’s brick and mortar construction keeps temperatures more constant in guest rooms.
- During restoration, heavy dual pane glass was placed in all guest rooms, keeping rooms cooler and requiring less energy for heating and cooling.
- Compact and energy-efficient fluorescent lights are used throughout the property, including guest rooms. These light bulbs are also recycled.
- Every vacant guest room has the drapes closed to reduce sunlight and heat, with temperatures set higher to reduce energy used for air conditioning.
- During cooler months, water is chilled through cooling towers instead of a Freon-based chiller system.
- Employees shut down their computers every night.
- Executive Chef Charles Wiley uses local food purveyors and local ingredients, thereby saving on “food miles” (the distance food has to travel from supplier to destination).
- All shower heads, faucets, and toilets are low-flow.
- Guests have the option of conserving water by reusing their towels and bed linens.
- Gently worn linens are donated to a local domestic violence shelter; more heavily worn linens are donated to a local animal shelter.
- Hotel Valley Ho participates in the Clean the World program; all soap, shampoo, and other in-room amenities are collected, cleaned, and recycled for use in developing countries. Read the press release.
- The hotel recycles over 3 tons of material per month, including paper, cardboard, cans, and bottles.
- Guests have the option of paperless check-out, through their guest room TV.
- The hotel utilizes a cardboard baler to recycle all cardboard products.
Green awards + recognition
- “Certified Green” by the Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association
- Good Earthkeeping Award – 2010 Stars of the Industry Awards, Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association
- Green Award, Green by Design Awards, Scottsdale Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. View the press release.
- Award of Merit, Environmental Excellence Awards Program, Valley Forward Association